52 Weeks: Crochet Mood Blanket 2014

One of goals this year is to make a blanket and I think I’ve found one.  While reading Hazel’s blog on Saturday, I found out that on Instagram @mummy_stacey came up with the idea of creating a mood blanket for 2014.

The idea is to create a key that correlates a yarn colour to a feeling I might have during the year.  I can either do a block a day, or 52 blocks (one per week).  The one block a day is too much for me and I want a blanket a little bigger than the 52 block one.  So I’ve decided to tweak the rules a little bit.

What I’m going to do is this:

• Record my mood every day.
  • At the end of the week, see which mood is the predominant one for the week
  • Based on the number of days the predominant mood is felt, that’s the amount of rounds I’ll do on my blanket for the week.   For e.g. if I feel contented 4 days of the 7, I’ll do four rounds on my blanket to represent that week.  Every “week” will be separated by two rounds of beige.  At the end of the year, I should have a gigantic blanket representing how I felt every week of the year.

The pattern I’m using for my blanket is the Giant Granny Square Blanket by Purl Bee.

My key is attached to the images posted above.  If you hover your mouse at the bottom of each tile, the colour and feeling attached will pop up.  But just in case it doesn’t, from top to bottom, left to right, here’s the key:

• Orange: Energetic
  • Magenta: Moody / Sad
  • Lemongrass: Excited
  • Purple: Happy
  • Teal: Refreshed
  • Beige: Border and Separator rounds
  • Pastel Yellow: Tired / Sick
  • Red: Upset / Fearful
  • Violet: Content

I didn’t want to use dull colours to reflect “negative” feelings that’s why my colour scheme is so bright.  LOLOL!!!

I’m already a little late with getting started but I can’t wait to work through my year on this project.  This year, rather than 52 years of blessings, I’ll be chronicling my 52 weeks in feelings and yarn!  😀  This baby is going to help me stash-down a nice chunk of the acrylic yarn that’s in my stash.  A beautiful blanket and a great stash-down project, I’ll say that’s a win!!!

33 thoughts on “52 Weeks: Crochet Mood Blanket 2014

1. Preeti January 20, 2014 / 3:30 pm

Fantastic idea! It will be great to look through your progress and see what you pick each week also the great finished blanket at the end of the year!!

• Nicky January 20, 2014 / 7:05 pm

Yes. I’m really enjoying this project and it’s really helping me to discern and re-channel negative feelings.

2. Andi January 11, 2014 / 9:12 am

This is going to be amazing. Can’t wait to watch the progress!

• Nicky January 11, 2014 / 12:05 pm

Thank you so much Andi! I’m counting on all of you who read this here lil blog to keep me on my toes re this project in particular cause I need to finish it!

3. denise/snoopy January 10, 2014 / 9:21 pm

Ahhh, such a great idea!! It’s gonna be fantastic!

• Nicky January 11, 2014 / 12:05 pm

I’m loving it already! 😀

4. Amina January 8, 2014 / 12:13 pm

How fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love making blankets!!!!
    This is such an awesome idea 🙂

• Nicky January 8, 2014 / 7:44 pm

I thought it was too. Whoever came up with it, they’re definitely on to something. I can’t wait to see what it looks like at the end of the year! It’s going to be a doozy!!! 😀

• Amina January 8, 2014 / 10:34 pm

There is also a temperature scarf going on ravelry 🙂 Your blanket is going to be so pretty!!

• Nicky January 8, 2014 / 10:53 pm

I started tonight. I’m hooking and doing a dance! LOLOL! I know I’m going to have to slough through the longer rounds the bigger the blanket gets but I can’t wait to have it done.

• Amina January 9, 2014 / 11:49 am

Yay!!! do post monthly updates so we can admire it 🙂

• Nicky January 9, 2014 / 11:15 pm

Definitely! 😀 I might even do bi-weekly updates.

5. Creatively Motivated January 6, 2014 / 3:00 pm

This is a good idea for stash busting and a great idea to tell your story in a blanket. Funny coincidence about this is that this morning, way before reading your post, I grabbed one the unfinished pieces of my knitted blanket so I could make a little progress on that project. Good luck and have fun with your mood project! -Nizzy

• Nicky January 6, 2014 / 8:52 pm

Great minds think alike! 😀

6. Hazels Crochet January 5, 2014 / 6:33 am

In fact, I hope you don’t mind if I copy your idea as I really like it…..

• Nicky January 5, 2014 / 10:27 am

Not at all!!! Borrow away. That’s why we do right? Inspire each other! 😀

7. Hazels Crochet January 5, 2014 / 6:30 am

Oh I like your idea 🙂 Instead of doing a square you are doing 4 rounds in your blanket. I like your colour choices.

• Nicky January 5, 2014 / 10:26 am

Thanks Hazel! I can’t wait to link the first installment with you!

And actually, four is just an example. How many ever days I feel how I feel predominantly, that’s how many rounds I’ll crochet. So it could be 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. That should make for an interesting blanket! 😀

8. savethestationery January 5, 2014 / 5:49 am

I think this is an awesome idea, looking forward to watching your progress on this one.

• Nicky January 5, 2014 / 10:24 am