I’m a firm believer in the power of the mind. I also believe that any real positive change in negative/harmful/unhealthy habits begins in the mind; the body will only do what the mind convinces it that it can do. No matter how many pieces of equipment a person has, no matter how many opportunities to cook healthily, exercise, move, jump, run, play, sweat. If you think you can’t you wouldn’t, if you think you can … you will.
My next question to myself usually is, if I think I can’t then why not? Could it be that I don’t consider myself worth the effort? I think to myself sometimes, if I had a family, as loving wife and mother I would:
- NOT leave my baby in front of the T.V. all the time
- NOT model to my family that stress is best relieved by cake and ice-cream
- NOT ignore the value of getting outdoors
- NOT negate the benefits of exercise
- NOT feed my family chocolate for breakfast, chips for lunch then wine for dinner
If I’d do that for them, why can’t I do that for myself. Is because I don’t think I’m worth the effort or is it just laziness?
As I take on this new adventure of becoming as healthy as it is in my power to become, I need to answer those questions. I need to look honestly and thoughtfully at what my answers are then re-train my mind if my answers undervalue my worth.
What about you? Where does your journey begin? Are you worth it?