Changes

Natural hair timeline:

• Hair journey — loose hair Phase I —  started: July 1st 2002
  • Loc journey started: Sept 1st 2009
  • Loose hair Phase II: March 17th 2013

After 3.5 years of locs, I have my chunky fro back.  I took them down primarily because I was having some hairline issues (caused by stress),  but I’m not going to lie, I wanted a change — for many reasons.  It took me 7 weeks to take down 132 locs.  If I ever loc my hair again, then wanted to get rid of them, I’d cut them off.  This time around, I just didn’t want to start my second loose hair journey with a very short fro.  But with 2 bouts of a cold virus in between the take down and an actual take down time of one loc being 30 – 45 mins, I will NEVER go this route again.

But for now, it’s done — as at 4 mins ago.  Time to rock the fro again!  I can’t wait to wash my hair tomorrow.   I figure, if I want the look of locs again, I can always do individual braids to mimic the look.

It took copious amounts of conditioner, a rat-tail comb, a crochet hook and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of patience.  I trimmed my hair as I went along so I shouldn’t have too much of that to do tomorrow.

Locs were convenient in the sense that I could style them then leave them alone.  Loose natural hair as abundant as mine is another animal.  After not messing with loose hair for so long, I have to get back to the every day care of it that I didn’t have to deal with while having locs.  I already went ahead and bought my staples:

All from my favourite natural hair product vendor: Oyin Handmade.   I got:

• Shine and Define — a styling creme
  • Honey Hemp — a conditioner.  I’m going to use this in addition to Jane Carter’s Conditioning Shampoo.
  • Greg Juice — a leave in conditioner that I can also use as a daily spritz.

With natural hair, I believe less is more and I also believe in using the most natural ingredients I could find.  My hair loved these in the past so I figured I’d start with what I know.

It’ll be an interesting to see the reactions of my co-workers on Tuesday when I do go back to work.

18 thoughts on “Changes

1. creative urbanista July 10, 2013 / 9:29 pm

I spent 2 months with a dental plaque remover taking down my locs little by little. And that was after letting them grow out for about 3-4 months. I’m glad I did it for the experience. Not sure if I’d do it again if I had locs. At the end I had about the same amount of hair left as I did when I started them. Next time I’d either cut it really short or just let them grow out for about 6 months or so and then cut them.

• Nicky July 11, 2013 / 2:10 pm

Same here! If I ever loc again, I wouldn’t pick them out. Snip, snip all the way. 😀 It was really too time consuming.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM, D'NALI

2. sam March 23, 2013 / 6:58 pm

I’d love to see before and after pics 🙂

• Nicky March 24, 2013 / 9:55 am

You got it — see one of my most recent posts! 😀

3. Spinster March 18, 2013 / 6:18 pm

If I ever wanna get rid of mine, I’ll just cut ’em off. You must have the patience of a saint. 😐 But at least it’s all finished now, and you can wear your hair out.

• Nicky March 24, 2013 / 9:56 am

Unpicking them really opened my eyes to the fact that I do have it in me to do what it takes to get a particular task done. No matter what. Never thought I had that kinda patience.

• Spinster March 24, 2013 / 10:47 am

That’s good.

4. Heather March 18, 2013 / 10:36 am

Good luck with the next phase 🙂 Those hair products look wonderful!

• Nicky March 24, 2013 / 9:57 am

Thanks Heather. I’m enjoying it already and have all kinds of styling ideas in mind!

5. Opal @ Playing with Fiber March 18, 2013 / 8:28 am

Sometimes I miss my afro. 🙂

My first set of locs I cut after about two years. I attempted to take them down, but it was a bit tedious so I just cut off everything and sported a teeny weeny afro for a minute. This time around, not sure I’ll cut my locs. I really love them (more than my first). I’ve had these about seven years. I treat them well and make sure they stay moisturized. I mainly just let them be, but on occasion I’ll curl them with “loc rollers” if I want a change.

• Nicky March 24, 2013 / 9:58 am

Continue to enjoy your locs! I’m just happy that so many women in our community are embracing their natural hair — whether it’s loose or loced. 😀

6. Creatively Motivated March 18, 2013 / 6:47 am

Woohooooo! Can’t wait to see. And chile, I didn’t need to see this. I am a recovering product junkie still looking for a natural conditioner. -Nizzy

• Nicky March 24, 2013 / 10:00 am

I was a product junkie in my first phase. I had everything under the sun that I read about. Now … less is more for me and my hair loves the ones I’m using now.

At the risk of enabling, you should really try that conditioner — it’s working so well. I’m about to do a conditioner wash this weekend; my hair just loves this stuff.

7. omlair March 17, 2013 / 10:34 pm

pics or it didnt happen!

• Nicky March 17, 2013 / 10:55 pm

LOLOL!!! As soon as I wash, style and stop looking like I just got out of the hospital, I’ll produce some pics. I promise. 😀

• Nicky March 24, 2013 / 10:01 am

I must really like you … :D. Your wish has been my command! See my post after this one! 😀

8. ilhamknitting March 17, 2013 / 10:29 pm

yay for changes! I loooove locks! I tried several times but the fro kept calling me back

• Nicky March 17, 2013 / 10:57 pm

I hear you. Right now, I think having my hair loose is the best option for me. I might need you to give me some styling tips. I remember your beautiful scarves. 😀