Ready, Set, Go!: Craft Book Challenge 2013

I guess since it’s January 1st, 2013, I’m in the mood for telling on myself.  In an effort to live more intentionally, more consciously and more frugally,  I’m committing to using my craft-book/Ravelry pattern library only this year along with this challenge.

To date, I have:

•  58 knitting instruction and pattern books
  •  21 crochet instruction and pattern books
  • 40 knitting and crochet booklets & magazines (including my vintage set)
  • hundreds of Ravelry stored patterns — freebies, bought and gifted

Seriously, how much more inspiration do I need?  LOLOL!  True, some of them were gifted, but at the end of the day, I have more than enough to get me through several years and I have more than enough yarn to do this!

I can’t claim ownership of this challenge; I got it from the lovely Liesl at Liesl Made

Part of my stash-down goals is to not accumulate anymore patterns (except for freebies gifted by designers using coupon codes).    I’m not going to reinvent the wheel, so here are the rules (taken from Liesl’s challenge):

craftbookchallenge

source

The SIMPLE RULES

• Make at least one item from a craft book you already have in your library every month—no matter how small.
  • You can do a post about your goals at the beginning of the month, if you want.
  • Since WP doesn’t have a Mr. Linky, I’ll post my contribution to this challenge on the last Sunday of every month

If you blog, you can share the link to your completed project every month in the comment section of this blog when I do that post

OR

you can post on your blog linking back to the challenge here

OR

you can link to your completed project on Ravelry.  Simple as that!

Whatever you do, I just want to be able to support your progress and find the projects you’ve completed through this challenge.

**********

I’m not allowing myself to buy any new books for the entire year. You’re welcome to add this rule to your challenge if you want to.

So how about it?  Who’s with me?

Advertisements

21 thoughts on “Ready, Set, Go!: Craft Book Challenge 2013

1. autumngeisha January 2, 2013 / 9:16 pm

This is a super idea! I tried to do a stash knit down challenge last year without much success. Yarn is too tempting for me to resist for a full year. But this one is totally doable, considering that half of my library is filled up with craft books. The only problem would be my addiction to knitting magazines 🙂 I will be totally cheering you on! And checking up on you 😉
    Happy New Year!

• Nicky January 3, 2013 / 4:58 pm

What can I say, I have the same problems! I just got a new subscription to Vogue Knitting — but I’m still going to hang in there! 😀

I’m holding you to keeping me accountable! I need all the help I can get!

2. Creatively Motivated January 1, 2013 / 11:51 pm

Sounds like a good challenge…one that I’ve stopped and started many times, lol. I have the same goal, but I just haven’t stated it officially. I haven’t actually counted my personal stash, but your numbers sound about right. To make sure you stay accountable I think I’ll frequently ask how many patterns have you bought this month. Hopefully, you will reply “0” everytime 😉 -NIzzy

• Nicky January 2, 2013 / 8:24 pm

I’ve gotten quite a few designer freebies over the last couple of days, but I came home to a Vogue Knitting ad which promptly went in the trash. 2 days down — 363 to go!!!

I love it that you’re going to hold me accountable. I’m counting on you to do that!

3. moe moe January 1, 2013 / 6:25 pm

Im going to enjoy watching this.

• Nicky January 1, 2013 / 6:42 pm

Just stay on the other end of the phone to talk me off the ledge when I start complaining that I don’t have any yarn or any patterns to work with! LOLOL!!!

Thanks always for your support.

Now get to bed and deal with that migraine. ❤

4. Heather January 1, 2013 / 3:37 pm

This is such a cool idea! I can’t wait to see what you make every month. Happy 2013!

• Nicky January 1, 2013 / 6:43 pm