All us knitters, crocheters, seamstresses, tailors, cross-stitchers, potters, jewelry makers, bakers, cooks — crafters — know this story. Most of us can remember the day we touched our mediums, were taught techniques, felt drawn to particular projects. We know this story, so I know you’ll be drawn to this particular giveaway. What we also know is how our crafts make us feel, the times they’ve helped us pull through and the way we use them to make ourselves and others feel loved.
When Asymmetrical Press contacted me asking me to do a book review and/or a giveaway on author and fellow knitter, Robyn Devine’s “She Makes Hats” book I wasn’t sure what I was getting into. What I got though was a beautifully told story of how knitting influenced one woman’s life positively. And how she in turn is using this well-loved craft to show love, community spirit and perseverance through her own personal trial. What’s more, her sense of community shows in phenomenal ways now that she’s made it her mission to make — not 10, not 100, not 1000, but 10, 000 hats. You read that right! 10, 000 hats!!!! What a wonderful example Robyn is of how small gestures produce extraordinarily far-reaching results. Her mission reminds me of this quote from Mother Teresa:
Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
I promise you that the book has this — the exhibition of her strength through knitting — and more. There’s something in each chapter that would resonate with crafters and non crafters alike. Maybe for you non-crafters, her story might encourage you to pick up some sticks or some creative medium and make creativity and its benefits part of your own life story. Are you gamed?
- Prize: One electronic copy of Robyn’s book after the release date April 29th 2014.
- Time: Giveaway runs from Tuesday 25th February 2014. thru Monday 3rd March 2014 midnight EST (Eastern Standard Time)
- Giveaway is open to everyone worldwide
- Method of Entry: Leave a comment in the comment section of this post letting me know what item(s) you like to make most. Your craft medium doesn’t matter, so every crafter can enter. Non-crafters can enter too!!! Just leave a comment letting me know what crafts are on your “to learn” list. Please leave your email address or Ravelry ID so I can contact you if you win. Easy peasy!
- The winner will be selected by random drawing on March 4th 2014 and notified by midnight on the same day. If I don’t get a response from the winner within two days of notification, I’ll do another random drawing and select new winner.
Used with permission from Robyn Devine
For more of Robyn’s story, go ahead, you know you want to — visit her at her website: She Makes Hats