I’m not going to go into detail about the now shelved name Ravelympics, the USOC, Ravelry, the Olympic Games and the now ready to happen tomorrow — Ravellenic Games. Google it and you’ll find more than enough! What I will say though is as a former athlete (sprinters stand up!!!!!) I love the Olympics. I love the hard work, the sweat, the tears, the victories, the camaraderie, even the losses. I love it all!
For all the fibre artists participating in the Ravellenic Games, the energy is the same as being on an Olympic athlete. I’m not saying that the two are equal or not equal. What I’m saying is that the spirit of honing one’s craft, challenging oneself, further developing skill-set are as common to knitters, weavers and crocheters alike as those things are to Olympians.
Although I’m not formally participating in the Ravellenic Games, I’m challenging myself to make 5 gifts from this list during the length of the games. Tomorrow night at 7:30 pm Eastern time, I’m going to join the world of knitters, crocheters and weavers in supporting our athletes and each other as crafters. During the 17 day event, I’ll be striving to complete:
- The Gaptastic Cowl for co-worker Nik with this lovely Paton Classic Roving wool:
- A set of washcloths for R that is to be a part of a spa set. Yarn choice — Sugar N Creme cotton:
- The Dropped Stitch Cowl for Val (maybe, still going back and forth on what I should give her). If I complete this “event”, I’ll use Lionbrand’s Thick n Quick:
- Another spa set for Raya with Lionbrand’s Kitchen cotton:
- For my booski Mar — this bookmark that is to be a part of her overall gift. Yarn choice —
- And for me — Malabrigo Neck Thingie with this baby:
Whether you’re part of the crafting community or not, whether you’re supporting a specific athlete or country — enjoy the games!!!! For crafters on Ravelry, enjoy the Ravellenic Games and the Olympics!!!!
Just seeing all these lovely yarns perks me up. I was drawn to this post by the pictures in my Reader!
Thanks Lissa. 🙂 Lovely yarn perks me up too … it’s no wonder my yarn diet this year’s an EPIC FAIL!!! 😀
Happy Ravellenic Eve D’Nali! I can’t wait to see your projects! You would have scored so many points I can’t help but wish you were on my team!
Awww lady thanks so much. I always think my skill-set is not enough to participate then when I don’t, I find out it was more than enough.
I have the next four years to get ready. 😀