Magic Loop Baby!!!!!

I made up my mind this year to become a serious knitter.  Serious aka not be intimidated by socks/gloves/mittens, by super intense lace knitting, continental knitting, knitting in the round, and the magic loop.  This weekend, I moved a couple of steps closer to accomplishing that — I magic looped!!!!  I can now cross this technique off my 2012 knitting resolutions list!!!!

I had a couple of false starts but after those couple of attempts, once I got going I definitely saw the ease of using the magic loop technique.   I know some knitters complain about sliding the stitches back and forth between the cable and the needles, but even with that, the technique is so much easier in my opinion than dpns.  This is not to say that I wouldn’t eventually learn how to knit in the round with dpns, but at this point, magic loop is where it’s at baby!!!   Once I got over my initial hurdles, I felt like this:

But I know how I felt is not what’s important — proof of my looping is.  😀  So here’s my sample:

The sample is not perfect.  With the first couple of rows, I thought I was doing the technique wrong (and obviously I was — Enter into Evidence those two garter stitch rows 😳 ), but after a few more rows, my little tube started to emerge.  Success!!!!  😀  I need to work on tightening the connecting round stitches to prevent holes but that’ll come with practice.  And I need to follow the instructions to count rows accurately.

Although I am a visual learner, the best instruction I got for magic loop is from a small booklet “The Magic Loop” Bev Galeskas and Sarah Hauschka I got in a in my first Ravelry swap.  Thanks Robine!!!! 😀

It was a wonderful way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

image credit: Dnali

Now that I’m looping … next stop — SOCKS!!!!!!

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Magic Loop Baby!!!!!

1. Erin-Kate April 26, 2012 / 11:18 am

Haha love the gif! It’s so appropriate, I know exactly how you feel.

• Nicky April 26, 2012 / 11:43 am

I’m glad someone understands!!!! 😀 I felt like I’d solved a third world crisis.

On another note, my friend is a gif Queen; she sends me the best ones. LOLOL!!!

2. Lauren April 24, 2012 / 11:03 am

I might be inspired to teach myself too. You make it sound so doable but just including the word magic in the technique sounds daunting!

• Nicky April 26, 2012 / 11:45 am

Trust me … you’re a more experienced knitter than I am … if I could do it, so can you. It’s really easier than it looks. Honestly.

• Lauren April 26, 2012 / 11:56 am

I appreciate your vote of confidence! 🙂

3. Lisa Mary April 24, 2012 / 8:21 am

Great work, Nicky! you are inspiring me. I must try this.

• Nicky April 26, 2012 / 11:45 am

Thanks Lisa. You really should try it. After I got this part down, not even the heel construction and turning instructions scared me. I can’t wait to get cracking on a life-sized sock this weekend coming.

4. MomofTwins April 23, 2012 / 8:19 am

WooHoo!!! I LOVE magic loop and feel confident that you will too. The best thing I like about ML socks, is that I kinit two at once and can’t get Second Sock syndrom. Also, both socks always come out the same. Good luck with your resolutions and keep loving the knitting girl!

• Nicky April 23, 2012 / 9:44 am

Thanks for dropping by Linda and yes … I’ll keep loving the knitting. My friends think I’m already slightly obsessed. 😀

Yay for ML and eventually 2AAT socks!!!!

5. Sheila April 23, 2012 / 7:41 am

You are doing a great job and lovely color. Never tried the magic loop, you are giving me hope to pick up making socks again.

• Nicky April 23, 2012 / 9:42 am

Thanks Sheila. I’d love to see some socks from you; it was your Oooowee Sweater that pushed me over the crochet edge! Maybe your socks will push me over the crochet sock edge too!!! LOLOL!

6. Opal @ Celebrate Life April 23, 2012 / 5:17 am

Yeah, congrats Nicky on mastering the loop. 🙂

I remember I was thrilled when I finally got it with crochet. I mainly learned to crochet by watching videos from the following Youtube users; Crochet, Crochet Geek, and Hectanooga1. Outside the chain stitch, I couldn’t remember the simple things I’d learned when I was eight-years old.

In a few weeks, I’m going to attempt to make my first crocheted socks. I’ve knitted some a long time ago, but never tried to crochet any. Hmm, guess this is an excuse for me to get more yarn, eh? I don’t have any sock yarn. I’m making a promise that I won’t go crazy when purchasing sock yarn.

• Nicky April 23, 2012 / 9:33 am

LOLOLOL!!! I love how you’re talking yourself into not going crazy with the sock yarn! Too funny! 😀 Good luck with the crochet socks. I’m trying my first pair in worsted weight yarn … I want to work out the sock knitting details first before I get adventurous with sock yarn. 😛

I have Crochet Geek on my e-speed dial for crochet vids. Her recording technique is awesome and it helps that she’s a crochet beast too!!!! I’ll check out some of the other tutors you listed.

• Opal @ Celebrate Life April 23, 2012 / 10:38 am

Yeah, that’s a good indication that I will go crazy purchasing the sock yarn, right? 😉 Oh I’ll be using practice yarn too, before I move on to sock yarn. I do remember knitting socks, but that’s been so long ago I don’t remember it, they were colorful and the best pair of socks I’ve ever owned. I’m still skeptical about the crochet socks, but willing to make a few pair first.

Crochet and Crochet Geek are the same lady; Teresa Richardson.

Hectanooga’s has some really easy crochet hats and slippers; perfect for a brand-brand-new crochet newbie. She also responded to the questions I asked on her YouTube channel. I loved that! I didn’t have too many issues following along. If she did a new stitch, I hopped back to Teresa’s page and watched in slow motion until I understood how to do the stitch.

7. autumngeisha April 22, 2012 / 5:00 pm

Your magic looping looks awesome! I totally agree with you on how great this technique is for knitting in the round. If you are interested in knitting socks, check out the two socks at a time using the magic loop technique. No second sock syndrome!

• Nicky April 22, 2012 / 6:56 pm

Thanks AG … 😀 It felt really good being able to conquer this technique.

I have Liat’s “Knitting Superstar” program and it includes the two at a time magic loop socks!!!! I can’t wait to try this.

w