I’m not sure what’s gotten into me but I’m quickly morphing into a pizza fiend. I don’t know if it’s because I’m now becoming a film buff (beer and pizza being the absolutest film buffie meal, in my opinion anyway :D) or if my taste buds are changing. Whatever the reason, I can’t have enough pizza right now. With the commercial and chain pizza joints being so greasy, sodium packed and calorie mammouth, I’ve decided to perfect my pizza making skill so I can have some without having to pay the piper. Honestly, I’ve had enough of the restriction/restrictive diets; I do believe that every food group is necessary for “fine living”, I just need to eat the healthier options. Having enough of dieting, my goal is to eat in moderation, having fruit, healthy fats, healthy carbs and veggies at every meal.
Last night I tried a deep dish recipe I got from http://www.breadworld.com and the result was amazing. I used the crust portion of the recipe only and made the topping a pure veggie delight — substituting mushrooms for meat. The crust although thick was deliciously light and fluffy; much better than my first crust attempt 😳 I was pleasantly surprised and very pleased at the outcome, but I was even more pleased that I could have the last slice for breakfast the morning after 😛
Here’s the recipe:
- Mazola® PURE Cooking Spray
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (note: I did a wheat/white flour combo)
2 envelopes Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup very warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spray the deep dish being used with cooking spray
- Add all the dry ingredients together
- Add warm water slowly; intergrate well with all the dry ingredients (do not over mix)
- Add olive oil in the same manner the warm water was added.
- Turn the complete dough mixture out on a floured counter and knead lightly
- Roll dough out and place in deep dish
- Add topping of your choice.
- Ragu Classic tomato sauce (enough to cover the dough)
- 4 – 5 large mushrooms — chopped
- 1/2 chopped green peppers
- 2 tblsps Parmesan cheese
- 1/6 block grated swiss cheese
Add topping ingredients in the order listed
- Bake pie at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes